We have moved! You can now find at our new blog Levicky Landing

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Mr. & Mrs. Pillows

Hi Everyone!  I am so excited to share these with you!

I must say that these took awhile to make but they were totally worth it!

Mr. & Mrs. Pillows

Okay so as you noticed they aren't on a bed.  That is because we don't have a bed yet and we aren't even married.  So for now they will sit in a plastic bag until we have a bedspread and bedroom set...but I love them!!!!

They were really easy to make so I definitely suggest making them!

Mother was sewing something else while I was making these, so it was nice to have company.  It was a little time consuming but totally worth it.

Supplies

  • Pillow Forms or stuffing
  • Fabric (enough to cover the size of your pillows)
  • Acrylic and Fabric paint of each color that you will be painting with
  • Paint brushes
  • Fabric paint pens (optional)
Check out How To Sew A Pillow if you are curious about why I chose pillow forms over stuffing.

I also bought the cheapest fabric because lets be honest, we will probably never use them to rest our heads on but just as decoration so I don't care about the quality.

I double layered the white fabric on each side of the pillow because the fabric was sort of sheer.  Keep that in mind when you are buying fabric!


Instructions


Sew Fabric 

Follow my How To Sew A Pillow tutorial for how to sew the fabric.

Before you stuff the pillow, you need to paint it!  Leave them like this:


Print out my word document if you want the same letter style as me.  Otherwise, make the letters as big as you want and in any font and print them out.

Note that I will reuse the M, r, and . because there is no point in cutting them out twice!


Cut out the letters. (It looks like there is no Mr. hehe)


After you have the letters cut out, trace them onto the pillows with a colored pencil.  

I used white for the black pillow and gray for the white ones.  You can use black colored pencil instead but I was to scared to put something that dark on the white pillow when I didn't want to actually see it.



Next, put newspaper, paper towel, or something in between the layers of the pillow so that the paint doesn't bleed onto the back of the pillow.

Then paint the letters!  Make sure you are super careful!

I painted the Mr. and Mrs. with two coats and the & with three so you couldn't see the black fabric underneath.

Yes I messed up once and redid the entire Mr. pillow but I aim for perfection which is not always a good thing!  That is where my mother came in handy because she calmed down my freak out.  You know that point where you just want to cry because you worked so hard...yeah that was me.  Thanks Mom!


Once you have let the letters dry, outline the letters with your fabric paint pens.  Maybe it is just me but I am not a crisp line painter so the pen made my letters look so much better and less sloppy!


After letting them dry, take out your newspaper or paper towels from inside your pillow and finish the How To Make A Pillow tutorial by stuffing and sewing the pillow closed!

Don't forget to admire your work!  Here is my photo shoot:





I love them and I am obsessed!  So sad they have to sit in a plastic bag at home but I think they would look weird on my dorm bed!

What do you think?  What would you change? And if you have already made them, what is your advice?

Let me know how yours turn out!

Happy Crafting,
Alyssa

P.S. I have linked this post to This Silly Girls Life, Southern Lovely, Pretty Things, Smart School House, Fine Craft Guild, Someday Crafts, Adorned From Above, The Trendy Tree House, Sew Much Ado, Ginger Snap Crafts, Made To Be A Momma, Creations by Kara, White Lights On Wednesdays, I Gotta Create, We Like To Learn As We Go, My Girlish Whims, DIY Crafty Projects, The Brambleberry Cottage, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Fireflies and Jellybeans, House of Hepworths, A Glimpse Inside, Beyond The Picket Fence, From My Front Porch To Yours, Katie's Nesting Spot, Live Laugh Rowe, The 36th Avenue, Made In A Day, Saving 4 Six, The Crafty Blog Stalker, House of RoseSerenity Now, The Shabby Nest, My Romantic Home, French Country Cottage, 504 Main, Kitchen Fun With My Three Sons, A Little Knick Knack, Craftionary, Happy Hour Projects, Lady Bird In, Simply Designing, Petals to Pecots, The Charm of Home, Common Ground, Tidy Mom, Diana Rambles, Nap Time Crafters, 30 Handmade Days, See Vanessa Craft, Whipperberry, Five Days Five Ways, The Best Blog Recipes, Six Sisters Stuff, Angels Homestead, Funky Junk Interiors, Polkadot Pretties, Too Much Time, Be Different Act Normal, Cheerios and Lattes, Its Overflowing, Lovely Crafty Home, Serenity You, Classy Clutter, DIY Showoff, Life on Lakeshore Drive, One More Time, The Foley Fam, Your Homebased Mom, Twigg Studios, Nifty Thrifty, I Heart Nap Time, Sew Many Ways, Flamingo Toes, Boogieboard Cottage, Mod Vintage Life, Craft-o-Maniac, Sumos Sweet Stuff, Flour Me With Love, Alderberry Hill, DIY Home Sweet Home, Keeping It Simple, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, Sew Chatty, C.R.A.F.T., Say Not Sweet Anne, A Bowl Full Of Lemons, A Diamond In The Stuff, Kathe With An E, The Blackberry Vine, With A Blast, Crafty Texas Girls, Costal Charm, Adventures of a DIY Mom, Creative Blog, Ladybug Blessings, Sugar Bee Crafts, Funny Polkadot Giraffes, Crafty Confessions, Hope Studios

24 comments:

  1. Very cute! What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing! I’d love for you to visit us at Get Your Crap Together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pillows! Thanks so much for posting and sharing your Word document! I have a cousin that's getting married in June, and this would be a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be a wonderful gift! I thought about it too for my friends that are getting married! I feel like they would love it :)

      Delete
  3. Love this pillow idea! I'd love for you to link up a few fun posts at my weekend link party@The Weekend re-Treat! if you haven’t already yet this weekend on The Best Blog Recipes!

    Hope to see you there!

    Shauna
    http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Just linked up and I look forward to continuing :)

      Delete
  4. Super cute!! I think I might try to make some!!

    Visiting from Pin Me Linky Party!!

    Beth
    www.bethbranstetter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I love pillows they are so much fun...thanks for sharing at One More Time Events

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO cute!!! :) Thank you for sharing! Visiting from Sweet Sharing Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute! And I love that you used fabric paint pens. What a great alternative to using a vinyl cutting machine..which I don't have. :-) I'm featuring this at my link party tomorrow night and pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I can't wait to join you again! Don't worry I don't have a vinyl cutting machine and that would have made it too complex! Simple and easy is what I like!

      Delete
  8. Alyssa, what a beautiful job you did on your pillows! These will look great on your bed, when you get one. I adore the black and white color scheme. I am fortunate to have a Cricut machine and I make similar pillows and things, using my machine to make stencils. It is even easier to use freezer paper when you cut your stencils, iron it on to your pillow, paint and then peel off.That makes it easier for me. If you would like to see how I did it you can check out the tutorial on my blog MimiMine@blogspot.com. I didn't use freezer paper or stencil sheets(didn't have any freezer paper at the time and could not find the stencil sheets).Thanks for sharing your creations and the tutorial!! Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, thank you very much! I can't wait to get a bedspread and have a bed to put them on! I have never heard of freezer paper but it looks so easy, much easier than what I was doing! Next time I am stenciling, I am trying that out! Thank you for sharing, I can't wait to try!!

      Delete
  9. Stoping by from time to shine. Been planning on doing a set of these pillows for awhile. My plan is to use iron on paper and iron fabric letters on. Never thought of painting them till I saw yours. Definitely will be checking out the rest of your blog.
    Lisa
    Sautermylove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think iron on fabric letters or paper was great. I thought about it too but it tends to be more expensive than paint so I just went with paint!

      Delete
  10. I love the idea of using paint for these pillows. So much easier than sewing the letters on and it gives it a more finished look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute. I love the & pillow in the middle! Thanks for sharing at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my favorite one too! Thank you for joining me :)

      Delete
  12. You definitely should, the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent and decent post. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Wow, this is pretty interesting. Inspiring, as well. Thanks for sharing such inspiring experience with us. Great blog, congrats.!

    ReplyDelete