We have moved! You can now find at our new blog Levicky Landing

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Grandma's Dish Cloths

Hi Everyone!

Today I want to share with you something my MiMi (grandma) taught me how to make!  In our house, we don't buy dish cloths but instead MiMi would make them for us.

When I was in high school she showed me how to make them and now I have probably made around 20 wash cloths.


For christmas, I gave Eric a bunch for when he moves into our house and I want to share them with you!  Mom has already requested a bunch the next time I make them too!

They are in high demand in our family!

To prove to you how easy it is to make these dishcloths, I took a picture of the instructions, it isn't even a full page!




Supplies

  • Worsted Weight Cotton
  • Size 10 or 10.5 knitting needles



I love using Susan Bates needles so I highly suggest them!  I really enjoy having the metal feel and the tapping sound because it makes me feel like a real knitter.  I know, I am a geek.

Here is the label of the yarn I use in case you want to use the same.  I haven't run out since I started yet so I think it is totally worth it!


Steps

  • Cast On 1 row
  • Knit 1 row
  • Continually Knit 2, yarn over, knit for the rest of the row until there are 50 stitches on your needle
  • Continually Knit 1, Knit 2 stitches together, yarn over, knit 2 together, knit for the rest of the row until there are 4 stitches left on the needle
  • Knit 1 row
  • Bind off

Super easy right?!  It doesn't even need a pattern that is how easy it is to do!  I am not an amazing knitter so this takes me about 2.5 hours for each one but I definitely think this is even a great beginner project!

Adjustments to the pattern are for the size of the washcloths.  My mother prefers when I knit until there are 60 stitches on the needle because they are significantly bigger.  These are extremely easy to adjust because the size is based on how many stitches are on the needle before you start decreasing.

When you make it through the third step, note that you have just made half of the washcloth (diagonally cut) so you can easily keep going if you want it bigger!

I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does!

Happy Crafting,

Alyssa

P.S. Here are the blogs I normally link up to Sunday: DIY Showoff, Life On Lakeshore Drive, One More Time, The Foley Fam, Your Homebased Mom, Twigg Studios, Nifty Thrifty, I Heart Nap Time, Sew Many Ways, Flamingo Toes, Monday: Boogie Board Cottage, Mod Vintage Life, Craft-o-Maniac, Sumos Sweet Stuff, Flour Me With Love, Alderberry Hill, DIY Home Sweet Home, Keeping It Simple, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, Sew Chatty, C.R.A.F.T., Tuesday: A Bowl Full Of Lemons, A Diamond In The Stuff, Crafty Confessions, Kathe with an E, The Blackberry Vine, With A Blast, Crafty Texas Girls, Costal Charm, Adventures of a DIY Mom, Creative Blog, Ladybug Blessings, Sugar Bee Crafts, Funny Polkadot Giraffes, Crafty Confessions, Hope Studios, Wednesday: Beyond the Picket Fence, This Silly Girls Life, Southern Lovely, Pretty Things, Smart School House, Fine Craft Guild, Someday Crafts, Adorned From Above, The Trendy Tree House, Sew Much Ado, Ginger Snap Crafts, Made To Be A Momma, Creations by Kara, White Lights On Wednesdays, I Gotta Create, We Like To Learn As We Go, My Girlish Whims, DIY Crafty Projects, Thursday: The Brambleberry Cottage, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Fireflies and Jellybeans, House of Hepworths, A Glimpse Inside, Beyond The Picket Fence, From My Front Porch To Yours, Katie's Nesting Spot, Live Laugh Rowe, The 36th Avenue, Made In A Day, Saving 4 Six, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Friday: The Charm of Home, Common Ground, French Country Cottage, House of Rose, Serenity Now, The Shabby Nest, My Romantic Home, 504 Main, Kitchen Fun With My Three Sons, A Little Knick Knack, Craftionary, Happy Hour Projects, Lady Bird In, Simply Designing, Petals to Pecots, Tidy Mom, Diana Rambles, Nap Time Crafters, 30 Handmade Days, See Vanessa Craft, Whipperberry, Five Days Five Ways, The Best Blog Recipes, Saturday: Six Sisters Stuff, Angels Homestead, Funky Junk Interiors, Polkadot Pretties, Too Much Time, Be Different Act Normal, Cheerios and Lattes, Its Overflowing, Lovely Crafty Home, Serenity You, Classy Clutter

24 comments:

  1. Adorable! Am over from the Fine Craft Guild- linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Here from the blog hop and am following you on Pinterest :o) Hope you'll get the chance to visit and follow back. You can find me here:

    Pinterest
    http://pinterest.com/croppedstories/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me! I followed you as well! Please join me on Fridays for Pinspiration Friday, next week I am making it into a link-up where you can link up your Pinspiration as well! You can check out one of my older posts at http://createimagineanddream.blogspot.com/2013/04/pinspiration-friday-4.html

      Delete
  3. I love these wash cloths! Unfortunately, I only know how to crochet, not knit, but I might learn just so I can make some of these. I have a couple that were given to me as gifts, but they are very worn out now. I'm pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely suggest learning on these! This is how Learned how to knit and it is so easy because you only have to knit. The best part is it is small so you feel accomplished quickly!

      Delete
  4. My grandma gives me these every Christmas! I'll be so sad when she can't make them for me anymore! Thanks for the pattern, I should learn to knit one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really easy and this is a great way to learn!

      Delete
  5. Hello Lovely, what a lovely blog. I'm your newest follower from Blog Hop. Followed you via Pinterest & Facebook.
    Feel free to visit, follow and leave me comments @www.revampspunkyrena.com
    xoxo
    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful! My grandmother made me a handful of dish clothes just like these and they are the best dish clothes I have ever had! They have been used so many times and still look great! I just have to sit down myself and teach myself to make some of these! Thanks for the tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, thank you for viewing them! These dish cloths are wonderful and they do last forever!

      Delete
  7. This is one of my favorite dishcloth patterns! It's a great pattern for beginners, too! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Handmade washcloths are the best. I need to try your pattern! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't knit since my little girl was born, and I miss it. Perhaps this would be the perfect project to help me remember how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a great project! Easy to put down and go back to without having to remember where you are!

      Delete
  10. Love them! It's such a shame I can not knit {but maybe I'll learn soon!} Thank you for sharing this with our readers at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party :-)

    Linda
    With A Blast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should learn! This is the perfect project!

      Delete
  11. Very nice! I found you at Life on Lakeshore Lane and sharing this post on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so cute! How sweet that your grandma showed you how to make them. I'm featuring them today:

    http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2013/04/featuring-you_24.html

    Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for featuring me! I am so glad you like them!

      Delete
  13. these are so nice. thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these dish clothes - you can never have enough!

    Hugs, Smiles & Blessings,

    Robin
    Fluster Buster
    Creativity Inspired by Frustration

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these! Thanks for linking up to my Pin Me Linky Party! I am now following you via all your social outlets! Welcome to blogging!

    ReplyDelete