We have moved! You can now find at our new blog Levicky Landing

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

How To Sew A Pillow

Hi Everyone!

So obviously I have something up my sleeve that I am going to post because I wouldn't just post how to make a pillow.  That means you have something to look forward to!!

Honestly, making a pillow is super easy!  I haven't done one in a really long time but after I got going, it all came back to me.

Sewing


Supplies

  • Fabric
  • Pillow Form (or Stuffing)
  • Thread to match your fabric
I should inform you about why I prefer pillow form over stuffing.  Pillow form may be a little more expensive but I think it is worth it.

Pillow Form is pretty much just a pillow that you are putting your fabric around. So you are making a pillowcase.

Stuffing is what it is, you stuff your fabric.

I think Pillow Form is better because it is more consistent.  When you stuff a pillow with stuffing it has a lumpy look to it and I am not a big fan.  But then again I am sort of OCD about stuff like that.

Instructions

Cut your fabric into two squares an inch longer on each side than the actual pillow.  For this example my pillow form was 12x12 so I cut it to be 14x14.

Cutting Pillow Fabric

Pin the "right sides" (pattern side) of the fabric together so the "wrong sides" are facing out.

Pin pattern sides together

Sew the pillows in the following shape way with a sewing machine.  I sewed 5/8" into the fabric but that is because there is a nice line on my sewing machine that I could line up the edge of the fabric with.

I suggest leaving the middle of the edge open instead of the corner because sewing a corner by hand takes a little more effort than just a side.

Sewing a pillow

After sewing, you can reverse the pillow so that the "right side" is now facing out.  Make sure to get the corners as cornery as possible.

You can use a pin to help pull the fabric out in the corner.

Pillow Corners

Now stuff the pillow form or stuffing inside of the pillow!

Okay here is the worst part, I will be honest, this can take forever.  You need to invisible stitch the opening close.  So turn on some TV and start sewing!

Invisible stitching

Once that is done, you have a pretty pillow!!

Do you have any tips for making a pillow?  Please share if you do!

Happy Crafting,
Alyssa

P.S. I linked this post to DIY Show OffLife On Lakeshore DriveOne More TimeBoogieboard Cottage, Mod Vintage LifeKathe With an EThe Blackberry Vine, Beyond the Picket Fence

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you have for us next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe you already know what I have next :). But it is a great one!

      Delete
  2. Hi! Thanks for the tutorial. I have a question, though -- what is invisible stitching, and how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Invisible stitching is pretty easy (actually the only hand stitching I know how to do)! If you notice the picture, the fabric happens to be folded inside. All you have to do is thread through one side of the inside fabric (like putting in a pin) then go to the other and do the same. Go back and forth down the pillow. Super easy! I am sure there are Youtube videos on it too if that isn't clear.

      Delete